Friday, April 3, 2009

Partners in Crime

A few nights ago, I was changing a dirty diaper while Sean cleaned the kitchen. I'm thinking that he got the better end of that bargain. Especially considering the severity of the diaper, which was so bad that we should have evacuated the house and called in a hazmat team for assistance. But being the fearless mama that I am, I handled the situation all on my own. Then, I cleaned up the ruined baby clothes and changing pad and got Hadley comfortable in her crib. I should mention here that I was very careful to raise and lock the rail on her crib since I would be leaving her alone. I'm just amazing like that.

Once I had the diaper situation under control, it was time to take care of my ruined clothing. So, I quickly ran down the hall to sanitize my hands and arms and to change my poop-stained clothes. I don't know if I ever thought I would say that last sentence, much less write it for the interwebs to see. But anyway, I frantically changed clothes, washed up, and ran back down the hall to rescue Hadley from her crib. She's not on the best terms with her crib right now, but that's a story for another day.

At this point, I was so proud of myself for: 1) handling the diaper from Hell, 2) managing to get both baby and me clean and free of poop, 3) managing to do all of this without having to call in Sean for backup. I am always bothering Sean to help me with something, so sometimes I like to see if I can handle really crazy stuff on my own. Then, I like to brag to Sean about how great I am. I'm sure I am a joy to live with.

Well, I was almost back to Hadley's room when Sean came up to me in the hall and said, "Did you just leave Hadley on the floor?" I stood there confused for a minute and then glanced in her room. The railing on Hadley's crib was down and she was lying on the floor, on her tummy, playing with her zebra rug. She was totally unfazed, totally unhurt, and enjoying herself on the floor. Somehow, in my mind, though, Hadley had lowered her crib rail and rolled to the floor. It didn't matter that she appeared unhurt or that physically, there is no possible way she could lower her own crib railing, I still freaked out. I ran to her, scooped her up, and rocked her, all the while wailing, "OH MY GOD! IS SHE OKAY?" I finally looked up to see Sean laughing in the doorway. He thought it would be hilarious to move my baby to the floor and trick me into thinking she had rolled out of her bed. Yep, hilarious.

And apparently, Hadley thought this was great fun, too. She was smiling right along with Daddy. She, of course, had no idea what was going on or that her Daddy was in a HUGE amount of trouble and would be sleeping outside for the conceivable future. I'm sure this is only the beginning of a lifetime of practical jokes to be played on me by those two. And, while I look forward to watching my daughter's relationship with Sean grow, I'm truly worried about what they will come up with next. I don't know how much more my heart can take.

And, don't worry. Sean is now allowed back in the house. It's supposed to snow tonight.


Hadley playing on her zebra rug.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com